Friday, June 10, 2016

Review: Super Vehicle 001 (Billion Spark Craftsmanship)

Hello guys, I'm the new reviewer for Tabletop Newtype. First of all, allow me to introduce myself, I am Cat_Casval. I have been building model kits for a couple of years now, with my brother. I started my modeling hobby from a bunch third party kits, then got some Bandai and even Tamiya airplane models.


So with that out of the way, I'd like to introduce the Super Vehicle 001 M.S. Evolve by Billion Spark Craftsmanship.






It's basically the tank you ride while playing Metal Slug (a really reaaally old game).


After a quick google search of the company, I discovered something really important. It is very hard to read Chinese if you don't know the language.

Kidding aside, the company is almost unknown, the only thing I found was the slug flyer. The sv-001 original design was copied from the manufacturer "Wave". They say it's a 1/35 on the kit but the original is 1/24. Honestly, I don't really know. It's from a game with deformed characters.

Now onto the box.






It's a very good box.


Inside the box are 13 or so runners that are very neatly packed by two's. A thin manual. Some stickers. And.... screws?


Whenever I see screws I faint.

THE KIT

In all honesty, its a very nice kit. Some tight pegs here and there. An irritatingly loose gatling gun cover.


But overall a good build

EXCEPT FOR ONE THING. I don't know of it's me or the kit itself. There's this one part "C2-3" that always gets in the way of the armor.


You could not put it together with this part. Plus it keeps falling off the frame. So I just threw it away. No harm done to the kit.



Another thing that's nice is the inner frame. It's cool and kinda functioning (some pistons work but are just there for design purpose unlike the barbatos' frame pistons). Why would i need to have a really nice inner frame, you ask? If it's just gonna be covered by the armor?




Lo and behold, it also comes with clear armor! Im not really a fan of clear armor on kits. I would like to think that the inner frame should always be hidden, its just for the eyes of the builder. So I didn't build it. That's just me. But I'll admit, it is really cool.




PLASTIC QUALITY

It's thick but surprisingly good. Not really Bandai good but not t.t.hongli bad either. It's not prone to stress marks. The only bad thing is the plated parts. You need some touch up paint especially for the search light on top of the tank. It's the only shiny silver part that is really exposed. But overall good plastic.




POSABILITY

At first, I thought it would be like a brick. No moving parts, no actuation. But surprisingly it moves.
FLEXING | FLEXING | image tagged in gifs,flexing,metal slug,model,kits,inner frame | made w/ Imgflip video-to-gif maker


Well… the parts move. And it has a stand included(this is where the screws are for... *phew*). So posability? Just like a tank.


MY THOUGHTS

Movement: The tracks don't rotate.

Extras: There are 2 weapon cases and a gas can in the kit. But you would need to paint them. The stickers can only do so much.

Assembly: i almost crushed this kit trying to assemble the inner frame. It's like merging a bunch of parts from the right frame to a bunch of parts from the left frame.

The tracks again: you WILL assemble 42 of these individual tank threads. 42!!!




VERDICT

Do you like ammo boxes and gas tanks? Do you like cool cartoon looking tanks?
Do you love the nostalgia that Metal Slug brings? If so get one. If not, still get one. It's a cool little model kit for your display cabinet/office table .

One is enough for me. I won't get two.


Score 75/100


3 comments:

  1. Did you compare it to a 1/100 MG RX-78? Im just figuring out the size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the later reply. that's a 1:100 MG RX-78-2 ver 3.0

      Delete
  2. The threads rotate in this, I had this kit before. It's just the design of the threads are claw-like and will get stuck on the peg of the side armors, but if you carefully rotate them, they move nicely.

    ReplyDelete