Monday, April 11, 2016

Review: PG Unicorn "Fighter" Gundam (Daban)

Bandai is so pissed right now


Okay. It's been out for some time but I wanted for the hype to die down before I made my review of this kit. First of all. Guys.... if you have the money get the original Bandai kit that's just the fair thing to do it's better than this Bootleg kit and you're actually getting your money's worth.

Okay One more thing. I didn't get the optional Daban LED system for the kit since I'm planning to paint the psychoframe. Without further ado....

Here is my review of the Perfect Grade Unicorn "Fighter" Gundam made by Daban.







First of all Let's talk size.

If it was real and in 1:1 scale. The Unicorn Gundam would measure approximately 21.7 meters tall in Destroy mode. so 1:60 that'll be about 36.17 cm or 1 foot 2 inches(thereabouts).

Let's see if it's true
Yup. Seems just right.
Well... It's taller than a standard ruler. so it is HUGE. What do we expect. It is one of the taller Gundam models from the Universal Century timeline.

So a big Gundam needs big guns too. so here they are compared to an MG RX-78-2 ver 3.0

RX-78-2: A shield? Looks like a surfboard to me.

RX-78-2: twin beam Gatling guns??? Where did they get this a battleship?

RX-78-2: If I used this I could've blown up A Baoa Qu by myself.


Huge.

Basically the kit comes with 4 beam saber but only 2 beam saber effects, a bazooka, a beam magnum, a set of dual beam Gatling guns and a shield. The full armor unicorn looks impressive now, right?

A lot of other blogs have done the part by part analysis and to be frank it's not my style. I'd like to just relay my thoughts and experiences when I was building this kit.

Thoughts and Issues:

  1. The plastic is reminiscent of Daban's Sinanju Stein. It's sturdy and snappy to cut but there is something really off about it's weight. It feels structurally unsound. It isn't, but it feels that way.
  2. A lot of the external armor is undergated. which is a good thing. you wouldn't a predominantly white suit to have visible nub marks.
  3. it's surprisingly easy to assemble. No screws, springs or any fancy locking mechanisms to hold the frame together.
    1. Take that into mind because the shoulder joints may not fully support the Dual gatling gun/shield combo with an outstretched arm. friction can't keep the arm from sagging down,
  4. You will face some tight fitting pegs. I would suggest not to over shave the peg holes or polycaps too much since friction is the only thing holding this thing together and standing up. 
  5. I like the clear parts in this kit. I din't have to modify anything to make them fit. i just shaved the nubs off using my hobby knife and followed the instructions carefully.
  6. Read the manual carefully and use your common sense. a lot of the clear parts need to go on a specific way otherwise the transformations wouldn't work.
  7. If you're planning to get one but want the led later. save yourself the work. get the led's at the same time to avoid disassembling the kit to the inner frame.
  8. Details are surprisingly good.
  9. transformation sequence at the most part is good and smooth. Although there are some parts you have to force a little. namely the shoulders, arms and lower leg armor.
  10. I love the head transformation most of all.
  11. Really good posability. (Good job Bandai)

Final Thoughts.
I enjoyed making this kit. I took my sweet time in savoring the build. The details are great and it does look sweet. The gimmicks are plentiful and transformation work pretty smooth for the most part. So if' you're looking for a brilliant piece of inexpensive (relatively) Perfect grade eye candy you can't go wrong with this Unicorn.

*Rating: 90/100






Final Final Thoughts.
BUT if you take into account that Daban's newer plastic formula (I felt it began after the Nu gundam ver ka) FEELS less sturdy and less substantial compared to older models. I mean my old bootleg 00 Raiser feels heavier compared with the Unicorn.   I know it's nitpicky but there is something fundamentally "cheap" feeling about the unicorn. Please note this is my opinion.

*My Rating: 80-85

Verdict. 
Yup, It's a great kit. aside from the plastic quality feel issues I said. this is a really good copy of Bandai's original (sorry bandai).  With Daban's  Banshee already in the works, the full armor kit nearby and Dragon Momoko's more expensive , more detailed Unicorn  I would say this is a pretty good year for PG's.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! Para sakin, isa lang ang disappointment ko sa Daban kit na to. Vfin. Hindi naglalapat ng maayos unlike ng sa Bandai (well expected na yun sa bootleg).

    Keep up the good work, and more reviews to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyya tabletop, you mention earlier about daban sinanju stein, does this mean you also have it? if so, I would like to know what is your opinion regarding that particular kit?

    Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. Yup I have a Daban Sinanju Stein in fact I have two. All I can say about that, is it's a great kit. plastic is way better compared to the TT hongli Sinanju verka it's the same plastic as the Nu and sazabi ver ka of Daban. fit and finish is better too. It's worth your money if you're getting one.

      Delete
  3. Have you picked up any other Daban PGs and made reviews? I don't see one for Sinanju or your 00 Raiser, I'm interested in those

    ReplyDelete